PaperSeed Foundation Eligibility Criteria
and Selection Guidelines:
The PaperSeed Foundation will select grantee and project partners based on their demonstrated ability to run sustainable initiatives and projects that improve educational opportunities for children and young people in underserved communities.
We are currently accepting inquiries from qualified organizations in China and South Africa.
How to Get Started:
Step 1: If you are interested in applying for a grant, please review our selection guidelines and eligibility criteria carefully, as these will answer many of the questions you may have regarding our grant process and whether PaperSeed is a good fit for your organization.
Step 2: Organizations that are confident they meet our criteria are welcome to submit a grant inquiry, available below.
Step 3: If we believe your organization is a good match, we will invite you to formally apply. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of submissions we receive, we cannot respond individually to those not selected for further consideration.
How We Work
Grant size generally ranges from USD $5,000 to $25,000.
Organizations will be eligible to seek additional funding once the initial grant period has been completed satisfactorily.
Funding is provided for capacity building, training, management support and projects that fall under the following categories:
- Deeper Learning for All: providing computers and books for libraries, creating school tutoring centers, funding for essential teacher training, life skills education and specifically developed programs to keep girls in school, such as scholarships, reproductive health education and/or sanitary napkins.
- Creative Learning: starting or expanding programs in music, arts and sports.
- Cultural Awareness: ensuring the young people are aware of their own cultural heritage, and that of others.
- Environmental Education: starting or expanding programs that inform the next generation on the importance of the environment.
- Sound Structures: construction of classrooms, computer labs, libraries, school sanitary facilities, hand-washing stations and kitchens; solidifying existing structures with reinforced windows, ceilings and cement floors.
The PaperSeed Foundation bridges resources gaps to enhance children’s lives. We take all precautions to avoid replicating existing projects or programs.
We typically fund projects in China, India, Guatemala, Kenya, Morocco, Nicaragua, Peru, the Philippines and select communities in the United States. We do not accept unsolicited proposals.
Potential grantee and project partners must meet the following eligibility criteria in order to be considered for our support.
- Emerging community-based organizations with an annual budget of less than $250,000 USD. Though we occasionally fund larger organizations, we prefer to support organizations that have not previously received substantial international support with catalyst grant funds and generally fund organizations with an annual budget below $150,000 USD.
- Run by local leaders who live and work in the community. We give preference to leaders who were born and raised in the communities they are seeking to transform.
- Involved in directly providing services to children and young people that strengthen education.
- Legally established organization or school in country of operation (or reasonable explanation why registration has not been possible).
- Sustainable, long-lasting initiatives or projects that will create lasting impact after PaperSeed ceases to be directly involved; we do not provide funding for ongoing operational costs.
- Management Structure with established systems and processes that ensure responsible management of accounting and reporting.
PaperSeed will consider the following guidelines when evaluating potential grantee and project partners.
- A Holistic Approach to children’s education and development that empowers children and young people to reach their full potential.
- Innovation and creativity in solution-driven approaches that are effective in strengthening educational opportunities and achievement.
- Community involvement and investment in the organization achieving their mission.
- Focus on sustainability to ensure the long-term success of sustainable initiatives and projects with proven benefit.
- Dynamic leadership and strong governance of the organization with the ability to inspire others with their vision.